Monday, January 12, 2015

Did Somebody Say Whip Cream??!!

Hello Folks.............Ok! ok!  I admit it! I slipped.

So let me just start by saying church is suppose to be a refuge from the storm!! So Whats up with all the tempting cookies and home baked cinnamon rolls??? Don't people know I am trying to be on this serious health Kick? I was so strong......11 days with no junk food.  I could feel myself starting to crack under the strain... talk of strawberry shortcakes and heavenly visions of donuts.  I knew it was only a matter of time... Well, if this was going to happen it was going to happen my way.  So I began ransacking my barren cupboards for something to satiate my sweet tooth without completely derailing my confidence in achieving a healthier lifestyle.... 

I found some Trader Joes Cereal
Some strawberries
some apples
dash of cinnamon
a few tablespoons of brown sugar
a jar of coconut oil

and heres where it gets hairy.....I knew there was cool whip in the fridge....

The label says:

I know there are a minimum of 7 unidentifiable ingredients!
most nutritionist are rolling over in their graves....sigh.. I Know. May the nutrition Gods please forgive me.  If I could have gone for real cream, I probably would have, but whats a Lactose Intolerant girl to do?

So I put the Granola cereal in my Vitamix (love my Vitamix, Thank you Mariss) and created an oatflour mixture...


I added some oatmeal cereal to give it some more texture, some Vanilla extract and Almond extract, (because there is nothing that doesn't taste better with Almond extract!)


So I mentioned the brown sugar....it is better than evil refined white sugar, right?
Ok, i did have Agave that I should have used. I know it absorbs into the blood more slowly and is way easier on our insulin levels...but again, I hope the Nutrition Gods will forgive me.

I chopped up Two Apples and some Strawberries, sprinkled with cinnamon and put that in the pan as the first level..

In my oatmeal crisp layer i did use the coconut oil..........OK!!!! Its TRUUEEE!!!!  I also added what was left of the butter in the fridge. Big SIGH. Well heres to being open and transparent. 


VOILA!

Yes, it was pretty much heaven on earth.  It was incredibly satisfying and ended up being my dinner and dessert.  I am proud that it was not some processed, chemical fill, white sugar, diabetes time bomb.  I did use mostly all natural ingredients, and the surprising thing was, that I felt  full long after eating it.  The hearty oats and fiber from the fruit helped sustain my level of energy and kept the sugar from hitting my blood stream too hard! This is a great alternative to curbing your sweet tooth.

My new Mantra: "If You Can't Read It, Don't Eat It."

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! This made me laugh...probably because I can hear your voice saying all of it, and maybe a little because I can relate since we went natural/ whole with our diet this year. You're great Liz!

    ReplyDelete